Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Fiery Voices at a Site of Man-Made Poison

Vaclav Havel wrote: "We live in a time of struggle between two ways of thinking: thinking evasively and thinking to the point. Between half-baked thinking and consistent thinking. We live in a time when reality is in conflict with platitude, when a fact is in conflict with an a priori interpretation of it, when common sense is in conflict with a distorted rationality." From On Evasive Thinking, 1965.



Fiery Voices at a Site of Man-Made Poison
(One scene in a longer play called Ecology Rituals) 

This performance will happen best at noon on a hot summer day. Choose public ground outside a site where humans have done terrible things: the edge of a polluted river with many chemical or industrial factories near its banks, a nature preserve near Joliet with its stunted and leafless trees and its acrid smell from the munitions and petroleum facilities nearby, or the seemingly innocuous ground within sight of a nuclear reactor whose swimming pools of perpetually and terrifyingly lethal radioactive poison are hidden underground. Or perform this piece near land that has known above-ground nuclear testing, or on a stretch of highway outside an active landfill site. Or at the foot of a mountain whose top has been sheered away to get at the coal beneath its surface.

Performance facilitators lead audience members to the performance site. It is all right if the audience feels there is no real place for them to stand or sit. It is all right if they find themselves congregating in awkward bunches, wherever there is room for them. It is all right if their numbers spill into a street and hinder traffic. It is all right if some audience members, searching for a place to stand, are forced to share the playing area with the performers.

The facilitators pass out little pads of paper and pencils. They encourage audience members to write words or draw pictures that represent how they feel standing in this place. Then they invite audience members to describe what they have written down. Facilitators may share their own feelings and thoughts if they think that will help audience members to begin. When this process has been given enough time:

The performers will erupt into the playing space, four of them carrying the rigid body of HOWLING MAN. He is carried upside-down, arms rigid at shoulder level, legs held stiffly apart. He howls as they rush him onto the stage. He remains suspended upside-down as the piece begins.

HOWLING MAN

Aau-ooooooooooooooooooo! Aau-ooooooooooooooooo!

The other four performers hold him by his arms and legs, which are all outstretched so he looks like an inverted Da Vinci man. All of them wear blindfolds.

HOWLING MAN

                                    I do not want to be here! I do not want to see! (The other four performers begin to swing Howling until he rises as high as their heads and shoulders. Even blindfolded, Howling reacts as if he can see the polluted site(s) behind them.) Aaaaaaaah! (Howling man fights free of the four performers and cowers on the ground. The four who held him recoil as if they’ve touched something intensely vile.) I didn’t do it. I didn’t pour it in the river, belch it into the sky, bury it in the ground. I didn’t build the god damn drums and pits and stacks and pipes that were supposed to hold the stuff. It wasn’t me!

(As HOWLING MAN continues to speak, the other four performers begin to whisper a litany that they repeat over and over as HOWLING MAN speaks):

ALL BUT HOWLING MAN

See, smell, feel, listen. (Repeated.)

HOWLING MAN

I just live here. Do my work. Keep my lawn mowed. Pay my bills. Feed my kids. I just wanted a little fun once in a while. I didn’t want to think about it, O.K.! I trusted them! They said it was O.K.! They said it was necessary! Safe, but necessary! They said the country would fall apart if they weren’t here. Our town would fall apart. I’d lose my home!
(All fall silent.)

MOURNING PERFORMER

He was two when I first heard that cough. A barking, deep cough and the wheezing at night when he fought to breathe. He got over that one. But then it came again and again, until I heard his lungs whistle almost every day. Why didn’t we turn our back on this place? Why didn’t we run! Why didn’t I ask what was stealing my beautiful boy from me!

PERFORMER WITH LOTS OF WORDS

Yes, there was pollution, but I bought property upwind of the site. We installed air and water purifiers in the house. All our garden soil was trucked in from out of town. We never bought food grown around here. And I did what I could. We had a list of environmental groups that got checks from us every year. Not huge amounts, you know, but regular contributions. They could count on our checks. I thought at the time, “People in this country are smart. They’re not knowingly going to harm themselves. Or us.” Then they found the cancer. It had spread throughout my body. Too late, they said. We’ll make you as comfortable as we can, they said. That’s what they said.

QUIET PERFORMER

                                    I worked over there. People were jealous of my job because it paid so well. There were monthly safety meetings and I went to every one. We had to. They wrote us up if we weren’t there. What they didn’t want was for us to do any thinking on our own. Oh, no. That was verboten. That’d get you fired. Or black-balled if you made enough of a stink. What would you do? Who’s gonna thank you for standing up? Nobody. Absolutely nobody.

SMILING PERFORMER

Once I had a busy practice in town. I used to feel badly for the delays we’d have in the waiting room. My nurses were always trying to keep the patients patient, if you know what I mean, because I liked to talk with them. Spend time with them. . . . There was a time when I knew the family health history for every one of them. Whose father and mother suffered from heart disease and what kind, the families struggling with diabetes, or cancer. Our office absolutely demanded that each patient fill out a detailed family medical history and I went over the information they provided very carefully. Did preventive diagnostic tests when the history warranted that. Took precautions . . . . I had this pewter Porsche. I always rode with the windows up, the heat or the air on. Vivaldi playing on the CD. Or Brahms. My wife packed these sweet vegetarian sandwiches with organic produce. . . . I drove right down the highway past this plant to get to my office every day for twenty years. I saw it all right, but I was busy with other matters. My patients. . . . My dying patients. . . . Last year I sold the practice.

(Simultaneously, all four stand and rip off their blindfolds. They speak the lines that follow in voices that grow savage by the last repetition)

ALL PERFORMERS

Now I see. Now I see. Now I see. Now I see! Now I see!

NOW I SEE! (On the last repetition they wheel around to
 face the poisoned site.)           

SMILING PERFORMER

                                    The air I’m breathing, have been breathing for fifty years, is filling my lungs with poison.

MOURNING PERFORMER

                                    When I shower with city water the poison in it soaks into my pores. I drink in this polluted water every day.

                                    QUIET PERFORMER

People in those buildings back there have raked in the dough because they were allowed by me and my government to poison this place.

PERFORMER WHO CAN STILL TALK LIKE US

                                    The ground underneath my shoes is so contaminated that touching it puts toxins on my skin.
The next five lines overlap and are repeated as the performers eventually convert the words to howls that build and then stop abruptly.


HOWLING MAN

                                    So—o-o-o-o?! What no-o-o-o-w?! Now that I get it, what do I  do-o-o-o-o?!
MOURNING PERFORMER

                                    Where do I go-o-o-o?

                                    I-I-I-I ha-a-a-te this!

PERFORMER WHO CAN STILL TALK LIKE US

                                    Where’s the sense—where’s the sense—where’s the sense!

QUIET PERFORMER

                                    Oh-my-God—oh-my-God—oh-my-God—oh-my-God . . .

Just as suddenly as they appeared, they drop to all fours and scuttle away from the playing space, howling and barking and crying as they run off into the distance.


Performance facilitators invite audience members to voice their responses to what they have done, seen, heard, felt and thought during the performance. The facilitators may ask audience members what should be done with the notes they have made. Some may wish to keep the pieces of paper. Others may wish to burn them. To wear them or to throw them away. The facilitators should make it possible for the audience members to do with the papers what they would like to do. Then, together, facilitators and audience members will leave the performance area.

No comments:

Post a Comment